Janhvi Kapoor is the daughter of late Bollywood actress Sridevi and film producer Boney Kapoor. Seen as a famous star kid till now, Janhvi made her Bollywood debut on the silver screen with Karan Johar’s Dhadak (2018). With the success of Dhadak, Janhvi has managed to turn heads with her talent and flawless looks.
Ever since her successful debut, she has made frequent public and television appearances as well as endorsed big brands in various TV commercials. Donning exotic looks every now and then, the actress is already making bold fashion statements and setting some major wardrobe goals for women around the country. Let’s check out more about the actress’s journey below.
Born on 7 March 1997, Janhvi is 21 years old as of today. Her birthplace is Mumbai, India.
Janhvi is 5’4″ tall and weighs around 50 Kg. She has dark brown eyes and black hair. Janhvi used to be a little hefty before she entered the silver screen. Her mother, Sridevi always wanted Janhvi to be health-conscious. After Janhvi signed her first film Dhadak in November 2017, she became extra conscious of her health and figure. As of today, she can be observed visiting the gym regularly. Her workout session videos are quite popular on social media where Janhvi can be seen working really hard and with full dedication.
Janhvi was born in a Hindu-Punjabi-Khatri family to legendary actress Sridevi and film producer Boney Kapoor. Ever since she was a kid, she has remained under the spotlight of media. Before her Bollywood debut, Janhvi has made several public appearances with her parents at interviews and awards functions.
Jahnvi has one younger sister, Khushi Kapoor who is always grabbing eyeballs with her fashion forwards outings. Khushi is following the footsteps of her sister and is aiming to go for modelling after her studies.
Janhvi has two half siblings, actor Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor from her father’s previous marriage to Mona Shourie Kapoor.
Her extended family members include actors Anil Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor, Sanjay Kapoor, Shanaya Kapoor and Harshvardhan Kapoor.
Janhvi completed her schooling from Dhirubhai Ambani International School, Mumbai. After her schooling, Janhvi went to Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute, Los Angeles, USA to complete her graduation in acting and theatre. Janhvi’s mother always wanted her to finish her studies first and then pursue her career, which Janhvi did quite successfully.
Janhvi’s mother, Sridevi never wanted Janhvi to become an actor. Janhvi expressed in an interview that her mother wanted her to be a doctor and eventually get married. But Janhvi later realized she didn’t really have the intellect to be a doctor and hence turned to films. Her “chilled out” dad eventually persuaded Sridevi into the idea of Janhvi entering into films.
Janhvi turned heads with her breakthrough performance as Parthavi Singh in the movie Dhadak (2018). The movie is a Hindi remake of famous Marathi film Sairat (2016) which revolves around two young lovebirds, Madhu (played by Ishaan Khatter) and Parthavi. Parthavi is a college student belonging to conservative politically influential family who falls in love with Madhu, a middle class Dalit boy. Two of them eventually get married against the will of their families and have a son, Aditya. The film ends on a tragic note with Madhu and Aditya getting killed at the hands of Parthavi’s family. The film was not very well received by critics but Janhvi’s and Ishaan’s performances were praised beyond doubt. “The world that Dhadak creates is too synthetic. It lacks the power to evoke empathy,” wrote NDTV. “Janhvi looks radiant and beautiful, and her innocence catches the eye but she’s still rough at the edges,” is what Times of India had to say about Janhvi.
As of now Janhvi is busy shooting for her upcoming film Takht (2020) alongside stellar cast of Anil Kapoor, Kareena Kapoor, Ranveer Singh, Alia Bhatt, Vicky Kaushal and Bhumi Padnekar. The movie is about the war of succession for throne after Mughal emperor Shahjahan, reportedly played by Anil Kapoor. Freshly out of Dhadak fame, Jahnvi is set to play a slave girl in the historical fiction. The movie is produced under the banner of Dharma Production which will be another major breakthrough in Janhvi’s career. We have our eyes glued to this one!
Another major upcoming film for Janhvi is an untitled biopic of female IAF combat pilot Gunjan Saxena. The film is reportedly set to release in 2019 where Janhvi will be seen playing Saxena’s role, who was the first female pilot to take part in Kargil War, 1999. Although, no official poster is out yet, Janhvi was seen on the sets of the movie dressed in blue overalls and a tight bun.
Jahnvi is a social and an outgoing person but when it comes to her love life, she likes to keep mum. She has been linked to several of her childhood friends but Jahnvi has never confirmed anything about her relationship status.
Janhvi was believed to be dating her childhood friend Akshat Ranjan for quite a long time.
She was also linked to Shikhar Pahariya who is the grandson of famous politician Sushil Kumar Shinde.
After her Dhadak success, Janhvi was frequently linked with her co-star Ishaan Khatter. Their relationship rumours sparked off from the sets of Dhadak where the duo was often seen cozying up. From attending film screenings together to being spotted at several dinner dates, Ishaan and Janhvi have been spotted at numerous occasions.
In 2018, Janhvi starred on Koffee with Karan with her brother Arjun Kapoor where she revealed her first love. Janhvi was asked to choose from Rajkummar Rao and Vicky Kaushal and ultimately went with the former and declared him her first love.
Janhvi has over 3 million Instagram followers and over 35K followers on Twitter. Her social media is a mirror to her personal life where she frequently shares her photography, childhood pics, designer outfits, new looks and movie promotions. She is quite a travel junkie and her social media is full of pictures from her various vacations as well as exotic captures by her.
Like all other star children, Janhvi has also been criticised for nepotism. After she landed her lead role in Dhadak, she became the target of nepotism around the country.
Another one of her controversies involve her leaked pictures with her alleged boyfriend Shikhar Pahariya. The pictures leaked on social media where the duo can be spotted kissing and cozying up at a late night party.
Janhvi was recently in Singapore with dad Boney Kapoor and sister Khushi to celebrate the birthday bash of Anshula Kapoor. The actress was spotted on airport while returning from her vacation and was greeted by fans with gifts.
Very recently Janhvi featured on the cover of fashion magazine Cosmopolitan donning a never-seen-before look. She spotted short hair with bangs and a sequined jacket. Janhvi has previously featured on the covers for magazines like Vogue India, Grazia and Brides Today.
View this post on Instagram
We’re set to start #2019 with a bang! Featuring a super-candid, and uber-cool #JanhviKapoor debuting her new hairdo on our January cover ✨ Photograph: @sushantvkadam; styling: @samar.rajput05; hair and make-up: @tenzinkyizom_official On @janhvikapoor: dress, @amitaggarwalofficial; jacket: @_purple_paisley_; ring: @sapnamehtajewellery #onlyincosmo #cosmoindia
- Janhvi’s favourite actors are Sridevi, Dilip Kumar, Salman Khan, Shahid Kapoor, Madhubala, Waheeda Rahman, Nutan and Kareena Kapoor Khan.
- Her favourite movies are Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge and Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam.
- Her favourite cuisines are Italian, Rajasthani and mutton.
- Janhvi’s hobbies include listening to music and dancing.
- Her favourite designer is Manish Malhotra whose creations she can be seen wearing at several occasions.
- Her favourite Sridevi film is Sadma. Janhvi revealed in an interview that she’d like to play the role of her mother in the film’s remake.
- She declined the role opposite South heartthrob Mahesh Babu because she felt she wasn’t ready for this role.
- Her mother, Sridevi was carrying her as she shot for her film Judaai in 1996. Sridevi was very close to actress Urmila Matondkar and loved the name ‘Janhvi’ which was Urmila’s character’s name in Judaai. Sridevi named her daughter after Urmila’s character.
- Janhvi lost out her role in Simmba to Sara Ali Khan apparently because she was too nervous to star opposite a big star like Ranveer Singh.
- Jahnvi had a hard time speaking Hindi and Rajasthani for her role in Dhadak which she did quite wonderfully.
- In an interview, Janhvi revealed that she once dressed up as a boy to help her friend make a boy jealous.
- She reveres her mother Sridevi. Janhvi is sad about not spending enough time with her mom. She stated in an interview that there were moments when she wanted to stay back home and be with her mom instead she chose to work and make her mom proud. “The validation that I wanted from her, I now look for in her fans,” stated the actress in an interview.
- Karan Johar wanted to launch Janhvi in Student of the Year 2 but later changed the decision and launched her in Dhadak instead.
- Janhvi was so devastated by her mother’s sad demise that she wanted to shoot the very next day of her mother’s cremation. She wanted to take her mind off of things by continuing with her shoot.
- Janhvi was recently honoured by the Royal Norwegian Consulate for her performance as an actress. Talking on the occasion, Janhvi stated that she’d work hard and live up to the expectations of her fans.
Janhvi is brimming with immense talent and some wonderful opportunities her way. She is all set to carry on her mother’s legacy and we wish her all the very best!