Banita Sandhu is an upcoming Bollywood actress known popularly for her debut in Bollywood film October released in 2018. Before stepping into Bollywood, Sandhu caught the eye with her debut in music videos and TV serials. With twinkle in her eye, Sandhu has embarked on her journey where immense success awaits her. Let’s take a closer look at the diva’s life and her journey as an actress.
Born in the year 1998, Banita is just 19 years old as of today. She was born and brought up in London, United Kingdom.
Banita’s eye color is dark brown and her hair is black in color. She has a slender stature of 34-26-34.
Banita belongs to a Punjabi NRI family who reside in Newport, Wales, United Kingdom. She still resides with her family in Newport and is very close to them. Her grandparents shifted from Punjab to UK. Both her parents were born and brought up in UK and are based there.
After completing her schooling, Banita went to King’s College, London to pursue graduation.
Banita has been acting since the age of 11. She started as a child actor and honed her acting skills by acting in TV serials. She received recognition for Vodafone U TV commercial and her debut in Doublemint’s Ek Ajnabi Haseena Se music video. She also featured in TV commercial for FOGG Perfume Body Spray in 2016.
In 2017 Banita got her biggest break with her debut lead role in the film October directed by Shoojit Sircar. Shoojit who is known for his out of the box movies like Piku, Pink, etc., once again proved his mettle by going with a fresh face like Banita’s . It was the film’s writer, Juhi Chaturvedi who spotted Banita while she was shooting for her Doublemint music video. Juhi laid her eyes on Banita and instantly signed her for the role of Shiuli Iyer in October. Although, Banita’s role in October was short and crisp but she still managed to leave a mark on her audience with her natural and sweet performance. Banita played the character of Shiuli, a Tamil girl, who is a co-worker of Danish (played by Varun Dhawan). Danish aka Dan and Shiuli both work at a hotel and eventually take a liking towards each other. Soon Shiuli suffers an accident and goes into a comatose state and eventually dies. Dan’s regular hospital visits to Shiuli (while she was in a coma) proved his unconditional and unsaid love for her. The movie ends on a delightful note with Dan reminiscing his love for Shiuli.
Banita’s performance in October was widely appreciated by critics and audience. She was praised all the more for choosing such a small and a simple role for her debut rather than going with some other garish role. The actress stated in an interview that she does not regret making her Bollywood debut with such an unconventional role. “I was 110 percent invested in this film when I signed up. Most of my friends were expecting a big Bollywood bonanza, where I’d be singing and dancing. They were shocked to see how internationally appealing the film is,” added the actress. While Banita’s “supremely heartening” and “outstanding” performance was in every tabloid, October got praised for its out of the box “tone and tenor.”
Banita has about 272K followers on Instagram and 16.7K followers on Twitter. Her social media is full of her beautiful pictures, her personal captures, pictures from vacations and various endorsements.
- As of now she is single.
- After having worked with Varun Dhawan in October, the 19-year old wants to work with Irrfan Khan, Aamir Khan and Alia Bhatt.
- Banita was still in college while shooting for October.
- She is an avid dancer and an adventurer. She loves to travel and her Instagram page is full of shots from her vacations.
- She is close to actress Mrunal Thakur and singer Diljit Dosanjh.
- She is a fan of singer Lana del Ray.
- Banita’s favourite foods are pizza and cake.
- Being of English origin, Banita had difficulty speaking Hindi for her role in October. Banita trained hard to speak Hindi to maintain a sense of originality in Shiuli’s character. She hired a Hindi tutor to help her with speaking Hindi.
- She stated in an interview that Deepika Padukone’s character in Piku, Kalki Koechlin’s character in Margarita with a Straw and Rani Mukerji’s character in Hichki inspired her to go ahead with her unconventional role in October.
After after overwhelming performance in October, the actress has managed to gather quite some appreciation for herself. She is immensely imbued with an eccentric knack for acting which will take her very far. We wish the actress all the very best!